Over the summer of 2012, members of the Mi’gmaq Research Project worked with the teachers at the Listuguj Education Directorate to make a digital version of the Mi’gmaq classes students take at the Directorate. The software used is called CAN-8, and it is a great tool for language-learning when the teacher is far away.
Right now, the Mi’gmaq CAN-8 has a lot of content uploaded, but we are developing more. If you’re interested in becoming a test-driver for the program, follow these steps:
- Contact Joe Wilmot to get the address for the server, as well as a username and password. Joe’s email is joew [at] listugujeducation [dot] com
- Download the CAN8 program by downloading the files here and here. Note that CAN8 only runs on PC computers.
- Install CAN8.
- Move the ZIP file and the EXE file you just downloaded to your C:/Program Files folder.
- Expand the ZIP if you computer hasn’t already done it automatically. You can usually do this just by double-clicking.
- Run the EXE–a window should pop up for CAN8.
- Use your server address and login information to explore the CAN8 material.
- If you have any problems or questions, please contact us! Our email address is info [at] migmaq [dot] org
- Subscribe to the blog to keep updated about new lessons added to CAN8!
To get involved, please feel free to leave a reply below.