The Listuguj Education Directorate is hosting the Second Mi’gmaq Language Summer Workshop on August 5th, 2014 at the Listuguj Bingo Hall (10am-3pm). Similar to the first workshop, this workshop will inform community members about resources available for Mi’gmaq language-learning. There will be guest speakers, activities, and cultural booths set up around the venue to encourage and promote the Mi’gmaq language learning efforts that are ongoing in the community. There will also be a prize raffle at the end of the workshop.
If you plan on attending, please RSVP via the Facebook event page .
The following is a tentative schedule; check back for details soon!
Schedule. All times in NB time.
Tuesday August 5th – At the Listuguj Bingo Hall
10 am – Doors Open – coffee and breakfast (provided). Opening prayer.
10:15 am - General welcome
10:30-11:15 am - Guest Speaker Diane Mitchell of Listuguj
11:15-12:00 pm - Guest Speaker Starr Paul of Eskasoni
12:00-1:00 pm – LUNCH (provided)
1:00-2:00 pm - Discussion Groups — student-led discussion groups on the Mi’gmaq language in the community.
2:00-2:45 pm - Booth Walkaround — various booths set up around the workshop including booths on basket-making, language resources, Mi’gmaq immersion, Mi’gmaq courses and orthography.
- Basket-making – Irene Condo
- Bernard Jerome – Medicinal properties of plants (until 1:30)
- Orthography – Yuliya Manyakina and Douglas Gordon
- How to learn an Algonquian language – Conor Quinn
- CAN 8 – Silver Vautour Wilmot, Douglas Gordon and Joe Wilmot
- Language corner – Mary Ann Metallic
- Language-learning resources